CALL FOR PAPERS
Carbon is one of the most important elements in steel to obtain desired properties in the core, case and on the surface. Optimal case and core properties are mainly obtained by the thermochemical heat treatments carburising and carbonitriding. For the optimum surface properties in several applications are obtained by a variety of carbon-based surface engineering techniques like PVD, CVD and others. There are a large number of specific and application based processes and techniques available with typical advantages and disadvantages. Some of the processes and techniques are still in the development or in the optimization phase driven by new scientific insights in many specialized institutes.
The field of applications is very wide and the techniques are used in almost all industrial sectors. A wide range in temperatures and process parameters are available to produce the best properties for each application.
Due to the continuous evolution in the demands and new applications there is a continuous need to improve the existing processes and to development of new processes and techniques.
Driving forces are quality, performance of parts, cost effectiveness, competitiveness, environment. The possibilities offered by the use of PC’s, numerical methods, specific software, electronic devices are important for the actual state of the technique and the fast evolution to the new future state of the art evolution.
Prospective authors wishing to present papers are invited to submit a tentative title and an abstract on the following topics :
- New theoretical insights and fundamental knowledge.
- Recent developments in the processes and application.
- Optimisation of processes and equipment
- Use of numerical methods for simulation and development of processes and parameters
- Influence of the materials to be treated
- Comparison between different techniques based on practical results obtained
- Measuring techniques: process parameters, microstructure evaluation, hardness measurement
- Quality Control and quality management
- Cost effectiveness and total cost of ownership
- Obtained results in specific applications
- Control of distortion: quenching, material and pre-heat treatment processes, design
- Environmental impact
- Failures and analysis
IN COOPERATION WITH